The World’s Largest Earth Day Celebration to Feature top VR, AR, MR Experiences
Image credit: Underwater Earth
DALLAS, TX, March 21, 2019 – EarthxFilm today announced the lineup for EarthxInteractive 2019, the world’s largest eco-interactive program, to be held during EarthX, from April 26 to 28, 2019 at Fair Park in Dallas. The interactive sub-division of the sustainability-focused film festival, founded in 2017, will present more than 40 cutting-edge virtual, augmented and mixed reality experiences that push the boundaries of storytelling. The content will employ immersive technology to raise awareness for pressing global environmental issues. Attendees will have the opportunity to go on wild, immersive journeys like swimming with sharks, rescuing baby elephants, exploring some of the world’s greatest reefs and free diving into the heart of the sea and beyond.
Visitors will enjoy scores of immersive content exhibits and educational workshops that address relevant environmental issues, aligned with the festival’s marine-focused theme as well as other vital environmental topics. Attendees can:
- Explore the waters of Tonga in the world premiere of UnderWater Earth’s “Guardians of the Kingdom,” a 360-degree film that highlights a community’s transformation from hunting to ecotourism of whales in an immersive world. Narrated by Mission Blue Founder and NatGeo explorer, “Her Deepness” Sylvia Earle
- Become immersed in the true story of slavery in the Thai fishing industry in “Ghost Fleet VR” (Catovia, Seahorse Productions and Vulcan Productions Film), based on the documentary Ghost Fleet which exposes illegal fishing and the heroes working to end it
- Climb the 3,200-foot face of Yosemite National Park’s El Capitan without a rope in NatGeo’s “Free Solo 360” with Alex Honnold, accompanying the Oscar-winning feature
- Join Jane Goodall in adventures with whales, dolphins, tigers, pandas and more in “The Wild Immersion” series
- Embark on a jaw-dropping underwater adventure to gain a deep understanding of sharks and their contribution to the world in Occupied VR’s “Sharkwater VR”
- Explore underwater wonders in Fiji and the Bahamas with Jean-Michel, Celine and Fabine Cousteau in “Wonders of the Sea” Augmented Reality
- Explore the earth, sky and sea with a lineup from distributors WITHIN: Dolphin Man, 700 Sharks, This is Climate Change (Participant Media, Condition One), Fistful of Stars (Eliza McNitt), The Protectors (Oscar-winner Kathryn Bigelow)
- Experience how one’s actions impact the ocean’s ecosystems while bringing corals to life and picking up ocean plastics in Virtual Wild’s “Ocean Life Motion Tracking Wall” (World Premiere)
- Wash away the past for the coming spring by visualizing the energy transferred to plants via water during a storm in PX Lab’s “Bloom” (World Premiere)
- Become immersed in the experiences of women fighting to preserve their lands from rising sea levels in Hawaii, the Philippines and China in Jess X Snow’s “After Earth”
- Enjoy an entire slate of Spanish language immersive content, curated by Earthx Mexico and Memoria Virtual Mexico
Visitors will also be treated to six world premieres including 360 Labs’ 360-degree film“Tree Huggers,” that transports viewers to the top of Portland, Oregon’s tallest tree to help them experience, learn and appreciate the forest
The Consumer Premier of Conservation International’s “The Elephant Keeper” — supported by HTC Vive VR for Impact– will also be screening alongside “My Africa” which features the voice of Academy Award-winning actress and activist, Lupita Nyong’o.
“Interactive experiences such as virtual reality and augmented reality harness the transformative power to truly permeate the minds of viewers through an unprecedented level of intimacy and immediacy with the content,” notes EarthxFilm President Michael Cain. “Viewers are able to educate themselves in a way that truly allows them to put themselves in these environments and oftentimes sparks the drive to affect change.”
“We have the honor of showcasing filmmakers, causes and tech partners on the front lines of protecting endangered species and ecosystems–from wildlife anti-poaching efforts and ending whale hunts to baby elephant rescues and ocean cleanups,” notes EarthxFilm’s Director of Interactive Programming + Partnerships Tiffany Kieran. “We want people to fall in love with nature and not just watch conservation efforts for dolphins, turtles and coral reefs, but feel like they are fully immersed and part of the efforts. We have seen how these experiences drive real life action.”
EarthxInteractive includes innovative experiences from such prominent creators as the godmother of VR Nonny de la Peña’s Emblematic Group (Last Whispers), Oscar-winner Kathryn Bigelow (The Protectors), VICE (Living With Jaguars), NASA (Emmy-winner Cassini’s Grand Finale), Biome (A Day in Djuma, The 500) , National Geographic (Free Solo, The Okavango Experience, Hydrous Immerse), Wevr (TheBlu), The Atomic Tree (Global Oneness Project), and Google Daydream Impact (Ocean to Plate, The Female Planet), Google Spotlight Stories (Emmy-winner Sonaria), Discovery TRVLR (Living on Ice) among many others.
EarthX began as Earth Day Dallas, an outdoor event spanning five blocks of Flora St. in Dallas’ Arts District, which later grew into Earth Day Texas and has now become EarthX. In 2011, Dallas-based environmentalist and businessman Trammell S. Crow took on the event, and has since overseen its growth to occupy approximately ½ a million square-feet of event space in Dallas’ historic Fair Park. Last year, the event brought in over 137,000 attendees, 400 speakers and 650 exhibitors. This year, with its continued growth and success, the event is set to bring in 500 speakers and 850 exhibitors.
Sponsors of EarthxInteractive 2019 include HTC VIVE, VR for Impact, Samsung Gear VR, Google Daydream Impact, 360 Labs, Post Asylum, and Scape Supply Co.
View EarthxInteractive 2019 full program:
EarthxInteractive is EarthxFilm’s exhibition of immersive storytelling designed to raise awareness for global environmental issues. Held during EarthX in Dallas, it hosts the world’s largest lineup of eco-interactive programming, presenting scores of virtual, augmented and mixed reality experiences, exhibits and workshops from top creators, environmental organizations and technology partners. Leveraging the transformative power of immersive storytelling to evoke emotion and spark empathy, EarthxInteractive’s lineup of narrative, documentary, and hybrid projects aim to provide attendees with the knowledge and first-person insight to play a part in lasting environmental change.
EarthxFilm showcases films, augmented and virtual reality and emerging media that explore conservation, climate change, and the environment while honoring the heroes working to protect our planet. Our mission is to turn awareness into action, through art and media. We achieve our goals by partnering with top environmental, film and entertainment organizations across the globe. EarthxFilm presents year-round programs culminating in a multi-day festival, April 19 – 28, 2019. www.EarthXfilm.org
EarthX, a Texas-based 501c3 nonprofit organization, strives to be the leading global connector to positively impact our world for a sustainable future. EarthX hosts the largest environmental expo, conference and film festival in the world in Dallas. Founded in 2011 by environmentalist and businessman Trammell S. Crow, EarthX promotes environmental awareness by curating an atmosphere for conscious business, nonpartisan collaboration and community-driven sustainable solutions. Attendees can also enjoy outdoor experiences, live music, environmentally-themed films and art exhibits, food pavilions, family activities and more. For more information, visit www.EarthX.org.